HOT, NEW AND TIMELY
August 3, 2009
Funding cuts force major Library reductions
Due to unprecedented funding losses from the state, the Board of Trustees approved further cuts at the Grandview Heights Public Library—reduction in operating hours, relocation of materials within the Library, and reduction of staff hours.
We have been projecting a 20% loss of state funding due to the lagging economy. Since the end of 2008, cutbacks in spending have been made: materials (currently reduced by 16%), printing, supplies, speakers, online resources, training & travel, postage, consortium fees, service contracts, and much more. In May, the Library increased overdue fine amounts and copy fees.
In June, Governor Ted Strickland's state budget proposal included a 30% funding cut for Ohio public libraries, in addition to the cuts libraries were already experiencing. An amazing outpouring of support for libraries convinced the General Assembly to decrease the proposed additional reduction.
On July 14, the Biennial State Budget was signed into law. Ohio public libraries received an immediate 11% additional reduction in state funding to the Public Library Fund (PLF). This 11% reduction, coupled with the 20% projected loss of funds, has forced the Grandview Library to reduce operations and services.
Many Ohio public libraries rely solely on funding from the PLF. We are very fortunate to receive funding from local tax levies, which is projected to account for more than 40% of our annual budget. We can't thank you enough for your support!
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we address these continuing reductions in funding. Now more than ever, we welcome volunteering and giving at the Library. At a time when state funding is down and Library usage is up, we will continue working to provide the services you love and rely on.
Below are the changes, approved by the Board on July 28, 2009.
REDUCTION OF OPERATING HOURS
Beginning August 17, the Library will open one hour later Monday-Saturday, and will close 1/2 hour earlier Monday-Thursday. Sunday hours (for both summer and school year) remain unchanged.
NEW HOURS: AUGUST 17-MAY 2010
|Monday-Thursday||10 am-8:30 pm|
|Friday||10 am-6 pm|
|Saturday||10 am-5 pm|
|Sunday||CLOSED (Through September 6)|
|Sunday||1-5 pm (September 13-May 2010)|
RELOCATION OF MATERIALS WITHIN THE LIBRARY
Many changes will be taking place within the Library within the next few months. Materials & sections will be moved. There are no plans to close during this time.
- All adult materials will be housed upstairs, including Audiovisual materials.
- All adult materials will check out at one Circulation desk upstairs. (The Audiovisual desk downstairs will close, and the Audiovisual area will become a study & meeting area.)
- Some non-fiction movies will be shelved with corresponding non-fiction books. (The travel section is one example.)
- Children's movies will be housed in Youth Services downstairs.
- Large print materials, the "magazines to go" rack, new non-fiction books, and other areas upstairs will be relocated or reconfigured.
REDUCTION OF STAFF HOURS
After exhaustive consideration, Library Board of Trustees approved a reduction of 367 staff hours a week, effective August 17.
- Some staff will be permanently laid off.
- Some staff will have reduced hours.
- The administrators (Director, Assistant Director & Fiscal Officer) will have salaries further reduced by 1.5%. (They had already voluntarily taken a 1.5% reduction at the beginning of the year).
Again, thank you for your understanding and support during these difficult times. We encourage you to learn more about volunteering and giving at the Library. Thank you for supporting the Grandview Library!
Questions? Call Administration at 614-486-2954.