HOT, NEW AND TIMELY
August 26, 2009
Job Help Day at the Library: Thur, Sept 24
Whether it's resume writing help, access to classifieds, industry and company information or acquiring new skills, job hunters have always been able to rely on the free resources of their local library. In today's economy, these resources are more in demand than ever.
To meet this demand, and provide additional support for local job seekers, five central Ohio libraries—Columbus Metropolitan Library, Grandview Heights Public Library, Upper Arlington Public Library, Westerville Public Library, and Worthington Libraries—will sponsor a Job Help Day @ Your Library on Thursday, September 24, from 10:30 am-5:30 pm. The event will feature job-related presentations, programs, demonstrations and expert speakers at different library locations throughout Franklin County.
Those attending can have their resume reviewed by experienced career advisors, learn the "dos and don'ts" of interviewing, get help with job search strategies and even learn how people are using tools like blogs, Twitter and LinkedIn to find jobs.
These programs are free and open to the public. For more information, call Administration at 614-486-2954.
Attend one or all of these great job help workshops at the Grandview Library on Thursday, September 24!
- 10:30-11:30 am: Operation Job Search
Career Consultant Fred Points of Jewish Family Services gives you the best tools for a thorough work search. Get all the preparation materials, tools, and resources available, and stay competitive in today's job market.
- 11:45 am-12:15 pm: Winway Resume Software Demo & Overview of Grandview Library’s Career Resources
Led by Grandview Library’s Reference staff, this workshop provides the opportunity to learn Winway Resume software, available on two computers in Reference, and an overview of the Library’s job help resources.
- 12:30-1:30 pm: Developing Effective Written Communication Skills
40 Plus of Central Ohio demonstrates how to use accomplishment statements, cover letters, resumes, marketing/career profiles, job search correspondence, and business cards, plus a basic overview and examples of various written communications.
- 2:30-3:30 pm: Social Networking for the Job Search
Can LinkedIn and Facebook really be used to help you in your job search? Laura Rees of ShinyDoor shares tips & tricks for using these tools to help you land your next job. ShinyDoor is a company that provides social media training to business people.
- 4-5 pm: Why Job Search Preparation is So Important
Jay Hofmeister of The Resume Bay discusses goal setting, common job search mistakes, and staying flexible in this challenging economy. The Resume Bay has 20 years experience in the recruiting & staffing industry and a featured segment on WCMH-TV Channel 4 every Wednesday at noon.
- 5-5:30 pm: Winway Resume Software Demo & Overview of Grandview Library’s Career Resources (Repeat)
More Job Help resources at the Grandview Library:
- A list of online job resources & more
- 1-on-1 Career Coaching (Reserve a free session)
- Upcoming Job Help workshops
- Browse research databases and websites
- Ask a librarian
- Search our catalog
- Get homework help
- Learn a new language
- Reserve the latest releases
- Download books, movies, and music
- Grandview Library News: RSS Feed: Sent to your computer or mobile device.
- eNewsletters: Grandview Library news, book reviews, and more sent to your email.